Welcome to Make the Vision Plain! I am glad you stopped by and hope that you will make this site part of your regular life on the Internet.
I started this website as a way to share my thoughts on my blog and also as a resource for those who like read books with clear content. The theme of this site comes from this scripture in Habakkuk:
Write the vision and make it plain that those who read may run. Habakkuk 2:2
I chose this verse as my site theme because while it is Jehovah’s instruction to one specific man at a particular point in the history of the Jewish people, it is also a succinct summary of the power and purpose of effective written communication:
- Write. Many cultures rely on oral tradition. But God placed a high value on written communication. One reason is because writing is permanent and unchanging, like God. The word for write in Hebrew also means to engrave, such as the 10 commandments, engraven on stone. Human writing benefits from editing and change, but God told Isaiah “Now go, write it before them on a tablet, and note it on a scroll, that it may be for time to come, forever and ever.” Is 30:8
- Plain. Good writing should have no ambiguity or confusion and readers with diverse backgrounds should be able to understand the message easily. The use of the word plain in this verse implies simplicity; only the words actually needed should be used. Finally, in Hebrew, the word plain also means deep, since the particular form of writing that the prophet would have used involved engraving (pressing deeply) on clay tablets. Thus, effective writing should make a deep and lasting impression.
- Run. Reading a clear message should lead to movement…a response. The reader should have no doubt about what action is next. Long discussion and pondering should not be needed, but clear, direct, immediate action can be taken. If the reader does not know how to respond, then either the vision is not clear or it has not been read with comprehension.
I hope you enjoy exploring the content on this website.
- Click here if you would like to learn more about how Jesus rescued me.
- Click here if you would like to learn more about my professional writing career or here for information on non-profit support.